- At the invitation of His Excellency Dr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli, President of the United Republic of Tanzania, His Excellency Edgar Chagwa Lungu, President of the Republic of Zambia paid a three-day State Visit to the United Republic of Tanzania from the 27th to the 29th November, 2016.
- His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu was accompanied by Hon. Harry Kalaba (MP), Minister for Foreign Affairs; Hon. Freedom Sikazwe (MP), Minister of Presidential Affairs, Hon. David Mabumba (MP), Minister for Energy and other Senior Government Officials.
- During the visit, the two Heads of State renewed and reaffirmed their historical good neighborliness and friendly political and diplomatic relations, and held substantive and fruitful discussions on bilateral issues. In this respect, they expressed their satisfaction with the excellent bilateral relations and cooperation that exist between the two countries and reaffirmed their commitment to further advancing and strengthening these relations and cooperation.
- The two Heads of State also had an opportunity to discuss various issues of mutual interests, including the Tanzania –Zambia Railway Authority (TAZARA), the Tanzania-Zambia Oil Pipeline (TAZAMA), the Port of Dar es salaam and the Nakonde-Tunduma One Stop Border Post (OSBP).
- On the TAZARA, the two Heads of State emphasized on the importance of revitalizing it so that it can effectively cater for the transportation of people and goods to and from the two countries. In this regard, the two Heads of State directed their Attorney Generals to review the legal framework establishing TAZARA with a view to addressing all the bottlenecks surrounding it for the purpose of making TARAZA more efficient.
- With respect to the TAZAMA pipeline, the two Heads of State also agreed to improve the services of TAZAMA to restore its carrying capacity to the 1976 levels of 1,100,000 tons per year, and to make it more efficient and profitable for the benefit of the two countries and their peoples.
- Regarding the Port of Dar es Salaam, H.E. President Magufuli informed H.E. President Lungu on the progress so far made by his government in improving the services of the Port in order to make it more efficient and competitive. President Magufuli further assured his counterpart on Tanzania’s commitment to complete the construction of Tunduma / Nakonde One Stop Border Post in order to facilitate trade between the two countries, which has recently shown positive signs of growth, and in this regard to reduce inspection stops along the road to only four. On this matter, H.E. President Lungu reassured President Magufuli on Zambia’s intention to continue using the Port of Dar es Salaam.
- The two Heads of State also witnessed the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the establishment of diplomatic consultations. However, prior to the signing, the two Heads of State directed their governments to take appropriate actions to ensure all outstanding agreements and memoranda are signed as soon as possible
- The two Heads of State also had the opportunity to exchange views on regional and international issues. In this respect, they reaffirmed the commitment of their two governments to continue cooperating under the framework of the SADC. They also reiterated the commitment of their governments to continue working together at the African Union (AU) as well as the United Nations (UN) levels, with a view to promoting the African integration agenda and sustainable development.
- At the conclusion of the State visit, His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu reaffirmed the Zambian government’s commitment to further strengthening the existing bonds of friendship and mutually beneficial cooperation between the two countries. He also expressed his profound gratitude and appreciation to His Excellency President Dr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli, the Government and People of the United Republic of Tanzania for the warm reception and hospitality accorded to him and his delegation during the visit. Finally, His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu extended an invitation to His Excellency President John Pombe Joseph Magufuli to visit Zambia at his convenient time.
Wednesday, November 30, 2016
Joint Communique, Tanzania and Zambia!
JOINT COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY HIS EXCELLENCY DR. JOHN POMBE JOSEPH MAGUFULI, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA AND HIS EXCELLENCY EDGAR CHAGWA LUNGU, PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ZAMBIA, ON THE CONCLUSION OF THE STATE VISIT TO TANZANIA HELD FROM 27TH TO 29TH NOVEMBER, 2016
Done at Dar es Salaam, 29th November, 2016
at 12:26 AM